Tips for Baking Other Sweet Treats
- To thicken a fruit pie, combine the sugar in the recipe with 1 tablespoon cornstarch for every 6 cups of fruit.
- Quickly frost cupcakes by dipping them in frosting instead of spreading the frosting with a knife.
- Substitute chocolate syrup for part of the liquid when making chocolate frosting for fudgy-tasting frosting.
- Instead of frosting brownies or sheet cake, try sprinkling with chocolate chips while hot. Allow the chips to soften, and then spread with a spatula.
- When making fudge, only make the quantity specified in the recipe. Multiplying the recipe will affect the cooking and cooling rate, and might cause recipe failure.
- To keep dried fruit, nuts, or chocolate chips from sinking to the bottom of a cake or quick bread, toss them with some flour from the recipe before adding to the batter.